Press Start
![]() |
| Also use up,up down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start, Select |
As my first post I would not only like to give you some information about myself I want everyone to know a project I will soon be posting more blogs about, I'm building a one handed NES controller. Why? Because, I grew up playing an NES. It's one of my favourite consoles and even to this day, I love playing my NES. Breaking out Super Mario Bros. 3 is always a treat. This is also true for other older video games and video game consoles. I enjoy the history behind and machinery of these consoles. So as someone who thuroughly enjoys playing retro games, why not let someone with the use of only one arm not enjoy these games too. Especially children who only have the use of one arm. The NES is a perfect console for children, the cartridges are heavy duty, the games are simple in controls (this doesn't mean that their objectives are) and the games are meant for all ages (mostly). So I decided to build a one handed NES controller which, is obviously inspired by Benjamin Heckendorn from the Ben Heck Show (@benheck) and even contains a custom 3D printed part from him. (thank you Ben for that part).
I certainly don't mean to copy him but, I deeply care about retro gaming and there aren't many viable options for accessibility controllers for these older consoles which means that people with the use of one limb or partial use of one limb might not have a chance to experience them. For now that'll have to do but, there's much more to come. To the bat cave!

"why not let someone with the use of only one arm not enjoy these games too."
ReplyDeleteDude, this is a great idea. I may not be an EE, by I am a tinkerer. Lights bells and whisltes. I can repair just about anything and have enjoyed building "things" all of my life. So, you start posting th eproject and I will see if there is anything I can help with.
And, this is a really cool idea. Let somebody with one hand enjoy too. So, with that in mind, my first comment would be "It needs to be ambidextrous." That way it works for either handedness. Or you just make one, then mirror it, since it is kind of a custom made.
Oh it will be ambidextrous. My design, since the NES controller is fairly simple, will be able to be used with either hand. I'm going to be using a Wii Nunchuck controller as a shell and the two buttons, the trigger and the R1 or bumper(for lack of a better word) for the B and A buttons. I'll be replacing the analog stick with something else to be act as a d-pad for the NES controller.
DeleteIf you have any other ideas though just let me know. I don't have all the creative ideas in the world so it helps to have outside resources. I could always use help too so I might have to recruit your services for something!
Good idea.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Delete